RISEBA

About RISEBA

RISEBA University of Applied Sciences is a private university with more than 30 years of experience, which offer competitive education and prepares high-level specialists and managers in business and creative industries for work in an international environment. The university was founded in 1992. The main building of the university is located in Riga. Pupils have the opportunity to gain vocational education in Vocational Secondary School Victoria.

RISEBA has been accredited by the Ministry of Education and science of the Republic of Latvia and has also obtained International Quality Accreditation (CEEMAN) of the International Association for the development of management.


  • Educational institution registration certificate No. 3393802029 issued by the State Education Quality Service.
  • RISEBA is first HEI in the Baltics that has two programmes EFMD programme accredited (previously known as EPAS programme accreditation. Accreditation has been given for maximum of 5 years.

RISEBA offers Bachelor’s degree programmes: Architecture; Audiovisual Media Art; Public Relations and Advertising management; Business Psychology; European Business Studies; Business Management; Start-up acceleration and finance (Latvian only).

As well as in the following Master’s degree programmes: Architecture; Strategic Business Management; Public Relations Management; New Media and Audiovisual Arts; Big Data Analytics; Human Resource Management; Project Management; International Business; International Finance; Master in Business Management; Management Psychology and Supervision; Health Management, Sports Management.

Doctoral Programmes: Business Management, Media Art and Creative Technologies.

Some of these study programmes can also be studied by distance learning.

  • Competitive education in Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral study programmes.
  • Studies in Latvian and English.
  • Option to get double degree in selected specialty.
  • Study abroad under the Erasmus+ exchange programme (RISEBA cooperates with more than 130 universities in 35 countries).
  • Modern study environment-premises and equipment (the study process in creative programs takes place in the Baltics at the largest media Study Center – RISEBA architecture and media center H2O 6).
  • The opportunity to gain additional knowledge in courses organized by the Career Growth Center.

On the left side of the picture is the house at 3 Meža Street, parallel to 1 Sētas Street – a rent and office building, the so-called “Hagensberger Kaufhaus” (Hagensberger Kaufhaus), built in 1896-1897, designed by architect A. Ašenkampfs; until World War I the owner was the merchant J. Hanskinevičs, in the 1920s and 1930s the property of merchant and book publisher Davids Golts /Zeltins/. At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, there were more than 10 shops selling various goods, a hairdressing salon, a jewellery workshop, J. Gröning’s photography workshop, and the Riga 2nd Post and Telegraph Office in the “Agenskalns Trading House” (also called “Hanskinēvičs Bazaar” at that time). “On the model of Moscow’s Petrovskaya arcade, the Hanskinevich Bazaar was built next to the market square – a long building with small shops and “spranču magazines” where everything could be bought: from nails and salt to fedoras, suits and hats… Today the bazaar building is fenced off from the street and attached to the territory of the Aviation Institute.” [Zariņš M. The Story of Agenskalns // Grāmata. 1990, p. IV 64] At the beginning of the 20th century this building also housed a private girls’ school, especially in the building of the bazaar. In the 1920s and the first half of the 1930s, the journalist, editor Mārtiņš Jansons lived there, in the 1930s – architect, civil engineer Miķelis Bērziņš. In the mid-1920s, Žanis Kaija’s printing house Kaija (later Brivibas 88), in the mid-1930s – A. Brigemann’s printing house Brigemann (formerly Baložu 1). In the 1920s and 1930s, the building also housed several craftsmen’s workshops, the mechanical workshop of K. Ceplis, the chemical-pharmaceutical “Central Laboratory” of E. Tepfer, and a few shops. At the end of 1944 and in 1945, the building housed a hospital, and the Baltic War Area Political Staff Officers’ Course was also held there. Later, the building was incorporated into the closed area of the Aviation Technicians’ School, and the Street Sētas adjacent to the building was closed.
Source: zudusilatvija.lv


Picture: Hanškinević’s Commercial and Rental House, Lauku Avīze, Nr.18 (04.05.1990)

Architect of the building: Alfrēds Ašenkampfs

March 31, 1858, Liepāja – December 26, 1914, Riga

In 1893, he graduated from Riga Polytechnic Institute and was a practicing architect. There are about 15 multi-storey stone buildings constructed in Riga to his designs. Together with architect Max Scherwinsky he was one of the authors of the architectural image of the 700th Anniversary Exhibition. This exhibition occupied the Esplanade square in the very centre of the city the entire summer of 1901. Everything at the exhibition – starting from the architecture of numerous pavilions and ending with the display cases and the objects exhibited in them – were the embodiments of the new style that considerably shaped the further development of the building art of Riga. Already back in 1904, Latvian journalist and art critic Jānis Asars noted that the appearance of Riga had undergone great changes, adding: “This taste that has become widespread in Riga, particularly owing to the 1901 Anniversary Exhibition, is really something new”. (Mākslas amatniecība (Art and Craftsmanship). Asars J. Collected Works. Vol.1, Issue 3. Riga, 1910, p. 3). Aschenkampff was the author (in partnership with M. Scherwinsky) of the first Art Nouveau building in Riga, namely, the apartment house with shops at Audēju iela 7 (1899). He was also the author of one of the first Art Nouveau wooden houses built at Kristapa iela 2/4 (1904).


Information: Rīgas jūgendstila centrs


Once upon a time, the area between Daugavgrīva and Ūdens Street was part of the Riga 1st Furniture Factory, and right next to it were the half-collapsed buildings of the Agricultural Machinery Factory ( Factory of R.H. Mantel). Hundreds of machines always filled the vast area on the edge of Zunda canal.

Over time, in the area were created two new streets : the cyclist and walking paradise of Nameja krastmala and Aisteres Street. RISEBA has converted the industrial buildings into its own facilities, and the current theatre, concert halls and auditoriums for studies have been established in the former Rudolf Heinrich Mantel machine factory.


Information: LTV raidījums “Ielas garumā”


Rudolf Heinrich Mantel Machine Factory

Rudolf Heinrich Mantel (November 12, 1853 – April 7, 1924) was born in Winterthur (Switzerland). Having grown up alongside the industrial sector in Riga, Mantel understood well the need for industrial development and noticed all the mistakes that had been made in the reconstruction of industry in Latvia of an early 19th century.


After his studies at the Zurich Politechnikum (1872-1875, Switzerland), Mantel worked as an assistant, (1876-1978) teaching engineering at the Riga Politechnikum (Latvia) he was lecturer of engineering, and in 1879 he worked as an engineer at the Lesner factory in St. Petersburg (Russia). Rudolf Heinrich Mantel was Consul, Chairman of the Riga Fabrikants’ Association.

In 1879, Rudolf Heinrich Mantel, together with M. Salathe, engineer of the cast iron foundry and machine factory “R.Phole” of Richard Pohl, founded a machine industry factory and foundry in the buildings of the currently existing RISEBA Architecture and Media Centre; the factory was named “Mantel and Salathe” after him. Later it became the mechanical engineering company “Mašīnu būvju sab. R.H. Mantel“. During World War I, the Mantel factory was moved to Russia and was never renewed again.


Information: the Latvian Journal of Engineers and Congress Technicians No 9-10 ( 15.04.1924.), Raduraksti.lv


Eduards Smiļģis (November 23, 1886 – April 19, 1966). The Latvian National Encyclopaedia contains information that Eduards Smilģis (actor, director, theatre reformer, one of the most important personalities in the history of Latvian theatre, the founder of the Daile Theatre) worked in this factory . From 1902-1906. Smiļģis interned in all departments of the factory, choosing steam and paper machines as his specialty. In 1906, he graduated with a diploma of engineer-constructor.


RISEBA opens its doors in the buildings of a machine factory

The building complex of the RISEBA Architecture and Media Centre H2O 6 was first renovated at the beginning of the 21st century when it housed the furniture salon “Grīvas mēbeles“, which also actively supported cultural activities. This company was located in the one of the buildings until 2010. RISEBA took ownership of the building in 2011 when it started actively offering the opportunity to study in the fields of Art and Architecture and construction. Since the beginning of the university’s activity, this building complex has been recognised as one of Riga’s creative quarters – H2O 6 Quarter.

    Contact us

    To top